Mid week dinners can be hard. I mean, they happen five times a week. It’s made harder on those occasions when you find yourself needing to cook for just one. I am forever on the lookout for quick and easy meals for the working week to stop me from having take away or that suspicious looking pumpkin soup in the back of the freezer.
This Dinner for One: Ricotta Gnocchi with Cashew Basil Pesto is just that. Unlike Potato Gnocchi, this comes together nice and quick for a beautifully comforting dinner. Best of all, it’s made from humble ingredients found in your cupboard and fridge.
The pesto recipe is really adaptable, too. Change up the basil for kale, rocket or spinach and substitute the cashews for walnuts or pine nuts. No excuses for dodgy weeknight Thai on those nights you find you are just cooking for yourself!
- 125g fresh ricotta
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 3/4 cup basil leaves
- 1/3 cup raw cashews
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 20g piece of Parmesan
- 1/2 garlic clove
- Place a large saucepan of water on a high heat to boil.
- Place all the gnocchi ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix with a fork until a dough forms.
- Divide the dough into 4 even pieces and coat each in a little plain flour.
- Roll each piece into a sausage that's about 2cm in diametre.
- Cut the sausages into 2cm pieces and lower into the boiling water.
- While the gnocchi cook, place all of the pesto ingredients into a blender or small food processor and blend until smooth.
- The gnocchi will be cooked when it is floating on the surface of the water, about 3-5 minutes.
- Toss the cooked gnocchi in the pesto and serve with some extra Parmesan.
Erin spends time out of the classroom writing her wonderful blog Erin Made This. Cooking and taking photos has been a long love of hers and she is obsessed with finding, cooking and adapting great recipes and loves top share them with the world.
Erin will be whipping up fabulous recipes for us each month that will help make a busy modern woman’s life a little less frantic and a whole lot yummier!
Latest posts by Erin Pracy (see all)
- 3 SMOOTHIES FOR SPRING - September 15, 2015
- HOW TO MAKE AN ESPRESSO MARTINI - August 20, 2015
- Christmas in July // Molten Salted Caramel Chocolate Puddings - July 15, 2015