Many bloggers have asked me recently how I add the graphics and text to the photos I use on here at Kaleidoscope. As I graphic designer, who has worked for a Graphic Design Company before, I use design programs such as Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop, and while these programs are now more affordable than ever from just $9.99 (USD) a month through Adobe Creative Cloud, I appreciate that most of you don’t have access to these programs. So today I’m going to run through 2 ways you can add graphics and text to your photos when you’re not a graphic designer.
Canva is an amazing website which allows you to choose from a huge variety of pre-designed templates that you can then customise with your own photos and text. There are templates for Facebook cover images, social media images, posters, presentations, letterheads, infographics, business cards, email headers, and the list goes on!
These are the steps I took to create the image above with Canva:
1. Go to Canva.com and sign up – it’s free.
2. Look through the templates in the Layout to see what will best suit the kind of image you need (instagram image, blog graphic, business card etc), then look through the templates within that category and select a template you wish to customise. I chose the Blog Graphic template for this example.
TIP: When looking at templates, ignore the colours, images used and even font style, as all of this can be changed. What you want to pay attention to is the layout, how many images the template allows, and any graphic elements such as borders, dividing lines and icons.
3. Having chosen a template in the Layout section, I wanted to delete the image in the background. The simplest way to do this is to click on the image in the design preview section on the right and a little editing box will appear. You can then simply click on the trash can icon to delete the image.
4. Next, I wanted to add my own image. You can either choose from the options within the Background tab, on the left-hand side, or click the Upload tab and upload your own image. Once your image is chosen or uploaded, drag the corners out so that it fills the whole template background.
5. If you are happy with the text elements of the template you have chosen, you can edit the text by just clicking on the text in the design preview section that you want to change and type in your new text. OR if you would like to add a more detailed text design element, click the Text tab on the left and choose a design. Again, there is a little editing box where you can choose from a range of fonts- from Gotham Font to Times New Roman, size and colour of your text. By clicking the little arrow on the editing box I was able to change the transparency of the circle too.
6. Once you have your text edited, you can click and drag it into the position that works best with your background image, along with any other design elements.
7. If you ever get stuck and need help, click the green Need Help? tab at the bottom and the Canva experts will be happy to help you.
8. Then, when you are happy with your design, click the Download button at the top of the window and your design will be downloaded to your computer as a .png file, perfect for using online!
Canva has great base designs and is simple to use!
Picmonkey is another great site that offers photo editing and graphic design elements for free.
Here is how you can create the image above using Picmonkey:
1. Go to Pickmonkey.com and sign up (again, it’s free)
2. Click on Edit at the top and choose to upload an image from your computer.
3. Once your image is uploaded, click on Resize on the right hand side and enter in the dimensions you want your image to be. OR you can Crop the image to different dimensions (say a square) in the Crop section. To get the correct dimensions for images on your blog, see this post.
4. To add a graphic over the background image, click the Butterfly icon for the Overlay options, then choose the shape or kind of overlay you would like. Use the options to change the colour and transparency (fade) of the shape and drag the corners to resize it.
5. Next add text by clicking the Text icon and the Add Text button. Type in your desired text and change the colours, font, alignment etc until you are happy with it. Drag the text into the position you want.
6. Play around with the other options down the left-hand side until you get your graphic looking the way you want.
7. When you’re happy with your design, click the Save button at the top and choose the save options and the graphic will be saved to your computer, read for uploading to your blog!
Picmonkey has lots of great functions, so spend some time checking them out! Your blog images will thank you for it!
I hope these steps on how to add graphics + text to your photos help you in creating gorgeous images for your blog that are super Pinnable and attract more readers.
You can find more information on preparing images for your blog and where to find images for your blog at those various links. Also always keep in mind your blog branding when creating images for your blog. Consistency is key. Find out more about Branding Your Blog here.
As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask them in the comments below.